Just De

Just De
Just De in Manhattan

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J is for Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious and Jealous

I just don't get it. What have I been doing with my life? If I would have known that I could be a multi-millionaire for partying, drinking and clubbing, I may have given more thought about making it a career option beyond my college days.




Every time I turn on the television, it seems to be a new reality show on the airwaves that glorify drinking, partying and of course gym, tanning and laundry. And it seems that such shows are always based in New Jersey. WTH? Is there something about the social scene in the Garden State that has escaped me? I went to college for five years, racked up thousands of dollars in student loan debt, and I still work two jobs in order to make ends meet every month. Deirdre is not a household name, I don't write for any major entertainment publications let alone grace the cover of such media jewels. But yet if I were a partying, drinking, gym, tanning, and laundry doing-socialite living in New Jersey, I too could be in the living rooms of American homes poorly influencing the youth of American just like these folks.


The reason I bring this subject to the forefront is simple. I am jealous. And yes, I know that jealousy is one of the seven deadly sins. But let me explain the root of my envy. I am jealous of these reality television stars who get paid ungodly amounts of money just to be filmed living "everyday life" or going to the gym, tanning and doing laundry. It absolutely hurts my feelings because they give the impression that such sloppy living is okay and and will be glorified. In the real world, such poor behavior is not acceptable.

But as much as it hurts my feelings, I have to admit that I am a loyal view that watches the show every week. My two favorite shows from Jersey are Jersey Shore and Jerseylicious because they absolutely make my day and thoroughly entertain me.


And can you blame me? As much as it really ticks me off that these people make millions of dollars every year for partying and showing off their perfectly juiced bodies and tan-lines, I admit I watch regularly. It's like watching a train wreck most episodes, but I just can't turn away. When Ronnie and Sammi were going through their relationship drama, I found myself yelling at the television giving them advice to sever ties as if they could actually hear me. Every granade Situation, Vinny or Pauly have brought home, I have voiced my opinion loudly and clearly with disgust. And now that Snookie is pregnant? I can't wait to see what happens next.


It just broke my heart that Frankie and Gigi broke up for good on Jerseylicious. The seemingly perfect couple finally decided to go their own seperate ways after trying to live with each other at first. It's so sad when love goes sour. I know that reality television is anything but real, but it's still sad nonetheless. I stayed tuned to this Jersey Jewel just to see how many times Olivia and Tracy can fight in one scene. I can totally relate to wanting to beat the hell out of a co-worker who always tries to start drama everyday on the job. It's probably why I love the show so much. It's totally something we all can relate to.


I know I am sounding like a bit of a hypocrite by criticizing and praising these shows at the same time. But all I can say is, I wish I knew I could be a star based on "everyday living." Maybe then I wouldn't want to move to New Jersey.

1 comment:

Shay said...

Girl, you aren't writing for the entertainment publications YET. The keyword is YET;)