Just De

Just De
Just De in Manhattan

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sparty on! Sparty on!: Michigan State BCS ranked

"When will I ever laugh again?"

"When something is really, really funny."

-- Carrie to Miranda, Sex and the City: The Movie

That scene came from one of my favorite movies, Sex and the City. Carrie Bradshaw, the fashionably fabulous New York writing diva from HBO's hit series Sex and the City, was dealing with being left at the altar by her on-again-off again beau, Mr. Big. She was jilted, completely devastated and being consoled in a wonderful five-star Mexican resort by her three best friends, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha. Nothing these ladies could do or say to her at the time could bring her out of her "Mexicoma." All Carrie wanted to do was get past her pain, but didn't know when and if they day would ever come. It wasn't until Charlotte had an unexpected accident in her pants that Ms. Bradshaw temporarily let go of her pain and laughed uncontrollably. It was really a short little blip in the whole movie, but for anyone who's ever been there, they can surely relate.

Now, I didn't witness a close friend poop in her pants, but I did witness the 34-17 beatdown of the University of Michigan football team by my beloved Michigan State Spartans about two weeks ago. It was the first time I felt great in about a month. After that brilliant victory, the Spartans went on to defeat the Fighting Illini of Illinois, 26-6, in the homecoming game, remaining undefeated (7-0).

The Spartans are on fire and currently ranked No. 7 in the Associated Press poll giving them a BCS ranking for the first time in about five decades. I am so excited and impressed. This is exactly what I needed to get me out of my so-called "Mexicoma."

It's been 11 years since I graduated from State and I have always been proud of anything and everything Spartan. From the time the Men's Basketball won the National Championship in 2000 until the most recent Final Four appearance. Even though the game didn't end with a victory, I was still very proud of my boys. People ask me all the time if I am a MSU fan and I quickly say no. I am a Spartan, not a fan and there is a big difference. A fan has a choice to support, but being a a Spartan, there is no choice. Win, lose or draw I will always support my Alma Mater.

Attending MSU was one of the best decisions I ever made. During my time in East Lansing, I formed life long friendships, chose a career based on my passion and had some of the best times in my life to date. Spartans are warriors historically known for their resilience, tough attitude and fighting spirit. That's definitely me. Even going through a heartache.

How I am choosing happiness in my Spartans' success is this: I am realizing that life does go on. And even though the wounds are still pretty fresh from my heartbreak, I know there will be so much more in life to find happiness in. I find happiness in the fact that I was able to move from New York to help my sister and her children. I find happiness in the fact that I was able to transfer my job without any trouble at all. I find happiness that I am much closer to family and friends that I haven't seen in years.

I am so blessed and highly favored. There are so many things to be grateful for that I have to remind myself to continuiously thank God for His mercy and goodness. He's in control of my life and I just have to wait on Him. I just hope my Spartans keep the winning going, and beat Northwestern this weekend.

No comments: